Archive for March 2019

Sunday night the Lethbridge Hurricanes made sure that their fans would see them at least one more time. The ‘Canes went on the road to Red Deer and outworked the Rebels en-route to a 4-1 win in game six. The Hurricanes weathered an early storm in period one, and took over the game in the final two periods.

“Give Red Deer credit, they came out hard in their own rink,” Hurricanes Coach Brent Kisio said. “Stuart Skinner was great in goal and made some big saves for us. (Ryan) Vandervlis stepping up and scoring that first goal is when we started to push.”

杭州桑拿

The Hurricanes trailed 1-0 midway through the game, but tied it when forward Ryan Vandervlis scored off the rush. Four minutes after that, Egor Babenko found an open Alec Baer on a two on one, to make it 2-1 Hurricanes. Early in the third the Hurricanes lit the lamp again, when Captain Tyler Wong toe-dragged around a Rebels Defender and ripped it off the post and in.

“It was an unbelievable goal,” Kisio said. “The timing of it was huge, to give us a two goal lead. Great effort, and a real good shot. It’s exactly what we need from our captain.”

The Hurricanes have surrendered two goal leads in all three losses in the series, but Sunday night the team tightened up defensively.

“We played the third period the right way,” Hurricanes Coach Brent Kisio said. “We got it in deep and kept our guy high, and managed the puck really well. So I think we handled moments better tonight then we did previously.”

‘Canes goaltender Stuart Skinner is having a great series, and was outstanding again Sunday night. Skinner stopped 33 of 34 shots, including a Dominik Hasek like diving save in the first period.

The team in front of him is gaining belief and confidence with every game, and they’ll have a chance to knock off the Rebels on Tuesday night.

“I’m very proud of our guys,” Kisio said. “Game seven is a pretty special moment, an opportunity to go back in our rink and it’s going to be an exciting hockey game. They’re going to come in hard, and we will too. That’s the way the whole series has been and that’s what it deserves.”

The Hurricanes and Rebels play game seven Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. in Lethbridge.

Detlef Holberg has lived in his 1912 Point Grey character home for about 35 years but these days he can’t stand to look across his alley.

“It’s a shame to see it go,” Holberg said.

Holberg is referring to a 1914 home that neighbours have been trying to save from demolition. The character house at 4255 West 12th Ave. is in the middle of a trio of heritage homes and was once beautifully maintained inside and out —; but now appears to be getting prepped for the wrecking ball.

杭州桑拿

The home is on the City of Vancouver’s heritage register but without heritage designation, it is not protected. It was granted a temporary 120-day heritage protection order in December 2016, which will soon expire.

“I phoned the city of Vancouver and they said that there’s a permit for demolition and there’s a permit in place to build a new single family home. It’s just been heartbreaking, this whole process. I mean, it’s been going on for a long time and we’re just really sad to see that house go down,” said neighbour Margaret Gardiner, who lives in the heritage home next door.

In September 2015, the City of Vancouver made history by designating a neighbourhood a heritage zone. ‘First Shaughnessy District’ gives blanket protection to 315 homes built before 1940 in an area between West 16th Avenue, King Edward Avenue, Arbutus and Oak Streets.

But in many other single family neighbourhoods, the battle to save heritage homes is far from over.

Concern over the loss of character homes recently prompted the City of Vancouver to undertake a zoning review. After surveys and public consultation, the city found there was support for initiatives to retain character homes – but few were in favour of down-zoning or decreasing the allowable size of new homes —; so it will not be pursued.

“What staff discovered was that if you gave extra density to people who protected a character home, it was very difficult, almost impossible, to give them enough density to make it worth their while. The idea of doing a down-zoning —; saying to someone if you tear your place down or someone tears it down, you’re going to have to replace it smaller because of the character aspect —; was objected to by a very large share of the property owners out here,”  Vision Vancouver city councilor Geoff Meggs said.

According to the city’s public consultation, homeowners feared a reduction in floor area may impact the size and number of secondary suites and may reduce land values by five to 10 per cent, but not likely below 2015 values.

Caroline Adderson doesn’t buy it. The Vancouver author and creator of the “Vancouver Vanishes” Facebook page said 4255 West 12th Ave. is a perfect example of what zoning changes could have saved, and claimed the city is giving in to developers.

“Why are you removing the only effective tool we have to protect these houses? Because now it will all go, it will all go,” said Adderson.

City staff is preparing a report with recommendations for council to consider later this month. No decisions have been made, although some believe it’s too late to save the home at 4255 West 12th Ave.

“There has to be a better way forward,” said Gardiner. “Once these are knocked down, they’re not going to replace it. There’s a lot, a lot of houses torn down around here.”

Alaska officials reported an oil leak from an underwater pipeline late on Saturday that was within habitat designated as critical for endangered Cook Inlet beluga whales.

杭州桑拿

The leak originated from an eight-inch pipeline connecting two Hilcorp Energy production platforms in the Upper Cook Inlet. Hilcorp shut down both platforms following the leak and the pipeline is now operating at reduced pressure, the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation (ADEC) said.

Hilcorp estimated that fewer than 10 gallons of oil have been released, but ADEC has not confirmed that figure, spill prevention and response director Kristin Ryan said on Sunday.

“We do not know if it’s still leaking,” Ryan said.

RED MORE: Obama administration bans new offshore drilling in Arctic Ocean

“The reduced pressure should minimize the amount being released from the leak and we have not seen sheening since that time, but we have not been able to confirm.”

Hilcorp did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The population of belugas that swim off the coast of Alaska’s largest city was listed as endangered in 2008 by the federal government and more than 3,000 square miles have been protected as critical habitat since 2011.

The spill occurred in an area that is also home to other endangered mammals including the Steller sea lion and the humpback whale.

READ MORE: Environmentalists raise concerns over possible ongoing oil leak in Alberta

The ADEC has not seen any impact to wildlife yet. Three overhead flights were conducted on Saturday with no animals seen where sheening had occurred or near the pipeline, Ryan said.

The cause of the leak was unknown and being investigated, ADEC said. The line can hold 461 barrels of oil at full capacity.

Hilcorp last week shut two Alaskan oil production platforms after reducing pressure on a leaking natural gas pipeline in Cook Inlet.

The two incidents are unrelated, ADEC said.

READ MORE: Vancouver Aquarium shutting down beluga conservation program by 2029

The Center for Biological Diversity said in a statement on Sunday it had sent Hilcorp a 60-day notice of its intent to sue for the gas leak, and is monitoring the oil leak to determine whether additional legal action is warranted.

“We’re really worried about what this means for Cook Inlet belugas with the double whammy of an oil spill and gas leak in the same season,” Miyoko Sakashita, oceans program director for the Center for Biological Diversity said in an emailed statement.

Hilcorp has hired a diving contactor to investigate the line and make repairs and it is anticipated that this work can be conducted late next week, ADEC said. (Reporting by Devika Krishna Kumar in New York; Additional reporting by Steve Gorman in Los Angeles; Editing by Meredith Mazzilli)

The Ford World Men’s Curling Championship officially got underway Saturday, with fans flocking to “the Patch,” a space featuring entertainment and autograph sessions, to mingle with the curlers and fellow curling enthusiasts.

“It’s been a blast! Edmonton is very welcoming,” said curling fan Sheila Bruce. “The fans are very enthusiastic about curling.”

杭州桑拿

Related

  • Rachel Homan wins gold for Canada at World Women’s Curling Championship 2017

  • Kevin Koe tops John Epping at Elite 10 curling event

    The competition runs April 1-9 at Northlands Coliseum with featured entertainment in the Patch each day.

    Fans will also have the chance to meet athletes at daily team autograph sessions and ask questions at the “Up Close & Personal Sessions.”

    READ MORE: How much do you know about curling? Take our curling trivia quiz!

    On Sunday, members of Team Canada met with hundreds of fans, who patiently waited up to three hours in line at the Expo Centre to meet their favourite curlers and get their autograph.

    The team had just come off a win against Russia Sunday morning.

    “Very cool, this is probably one of the only sports where I’d be able to see a team play and then a couple hours later just meet with them in the Patch,” said Brad, another fan waiting in line to get Brad Gushue’s autograph.

    Team Canada is looking to defend it’s gold-medal win last year in Switzerland, by Kevin Koe’s Calgary team, the group that curling champ Brad Gushue’s Newfoundland team defeated in the Tim Hortons Brier final in St. John’s last month.

    The gold-medal game will be played April 9 at 6 p.m.

    ‘The Patch‘ area, a staple of national and world curling championship events, continues at the Expo Centre throughout the tournament.

    The 2017 Ford Worlds marks the 23rd time that Canada has played host to the World Men’s Championship, and the third time the tournament has been played in Alberta.

    Visit the event website, for all tournament information, including schedules, team lineups and entertainment in the Patch.

    Edmonton curling fans celebrate with party in ‘the Patch’

    Global News

    Edmonton curling fans celebrate with party in ‘the Patch’

    Global News

    Edmonton curling fans celebrate with party in ‘the Patch’

    Global News

    Edmonton curling fans celebrate with party in ‘the Patch’

    Global News

    Edmonton curling fans celebrate with party in ‘the Patch’

    Global News

    Edmonton curling fans celebrate with party in ‘the Patch’

    Global News

    Edmonton curling fans celebrate with party in ‘the Patch’

    Global News

    Edmonton curling fans celebrate with party in ‘the Patch’

    Global News

    Edmonton curling fans celebrate with party in ‘the Patch’

    Global News

MONTREAL – Bombardier further retreated Sunday on a hefty pay increase to six senior executives, announcing they would defer receiving payment on a sizeable chunk until a later time.

A statement from company President and CEO Alain Bellemare late Sunday said he has asked the transportation giant’s board of directors to defer more than half of the US$32.6 million the executives received in compensation in 2016 until 2020.

杭州桑拿

READ MORE: Bombardier CEO asks directors to hike back his pay amid a public outcry

“This compensation will only be payable if we achieve our performance objectives; delivering value to all our shareholders, including the people of Québec and Canada,” Bellemare said in a brief statement.

Public anger about the roughly 50 per cent increase in compensation from the US$21.9 million paid to the executives in 2015 has mounted steadily in the past few days in light of the fact Bombardier has received hundreds of millions of tax dollars.

WATCH: Trudeau defends Bombardier bailout after execs take home millions in raises

Two Quebec cabinet ministers called for Bombardier to rethink the pay packages last week and roughly 200 people gathered outside the company’s Montreal headquarters on Sunday to voice their anger against Bombardier. The outcry was acknowledged by Bellemare in his statement.

“Over the past 75 years, our fellow citizens have always been by our side. It is because of this deep relationship that we are sensitive to the public reaction to our executive compensation practices,” Bellemare said.

Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard said in a tweet Sunday that he spoke to Bellemare about Quebecers’ concerns about the pay package and that he was happy with Sunday’s decision.

Public anger appeared fuelled by the fact Bombardier (TSX:BBD.B) received a US$1 billion investment from the Quebec government in 2016 in exchange for a 49.5 per cent stake, and in February, the federal government pledged $372.5 million in repayable loans to the company — a far cry from the US$1 billion it had been asking Ottawa for since 2015.

The company has also laid off thousands of workers worldwide.

WATCH: Signing off on subsidies like Bombardier is not in line with my values: Bernier

The reaction last week prompted Bombardier chairman Pierre Beaudoin, one of the other six executives who received a hefty pay hike to announce Friday that he would ask the board of directors to bring his 2016 compensation in line with what he received in 2015, a cut amounting to around US$1.4 million dollars.

The company also issued a defence of its compensation policy and called it “inappropriate” to compare the 2016 compensation to that of the previous year because some of the executives did not start at the beginning of 2015. Bellemare for example started in his job in February, 2015.

Bombardier’s damage control efforts over the weekend appeared to do little to calm the waters.

The crowd outside of the company’s headquarters Sunday chanted in French “shame to Bombardier!”

READ MORE: Bombardier chairman’s pay cut not enough to save company’s image, PR expert says

Jessica Lacombe, a teacher, carried a sign that read “I’m still waiting for my invitation to Bombardier’s shareholders’ meeting.”

She said the company’s actions are especially hard to take after years of government austerity that have included cutbacks to health and education.

“If it’s private money they can do what they want, but now it’s public money,” she said. “It’s our taxes, it’s our money.”

The opposition Parti Quebecois said it would introduce a motion in the Quebec legislature this week calling on all of Bombardier’s executives to renounce their 2016 compensation increase. PQ leader Jean-Francois Lisee tweeted late Sunday that Bombardier’s latest effort at damage control wasn’t good enough.

“The Parti Quebecois, like 93 per cent of Quebecers, refuse a “deferral” of scandalous raises. We demand a cancellation!” Lisee tweeted.

— With files from Morgan Lowrie in Montreal